Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation Educator of the Year Award
In 2003, ©Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation created a tribute to American Indian educators. The Crazy Horse Educator of the Year Award honors an individual who has made significant contributions to Native American education. The award includes a $1,000 grant to fund the recipient’s student projects that make an impact. The award is announced annually at the Native Americans’ Day Celebration at Crazy Horse Memorial®.
Past recipients include
- 2003 - Martin Red Bear Jr., Resource Specialist, Rapid City Central High School.
- 2004 - Margery High Horse, Fourth-Grade Teacher, Our Lady of Lourdes Elementary School, Porcupine, SD. Terrie Jo Gibbons received special recognition for her work as an Art Teacher for the Shannon County School District
- 2005 - Marlyce Miner, Social Studies Instructor, Jefferson Academy, Rapid City Area Schools
- 2006 - Robert Cook, Social Studies Instructor, Jefferson Academy, Rapid City Area Schools
- 2007 - Earl Bullhead, Lakota Language-Cultural Arts Instructor, Lower Brule High School and Lower Brule Community College
- 2008 - Judy Whirlwind Horse, Fifth Grade Teacher, Cheyenne Eagle Butte Upper Elementary School
- 2009 - Marcel Bull Bear, History-Genealogy-Lakota Culture Instructor, Oglala Lakota College, Kyle, SD
- 2010 - Harriet Brings, Lakota Language-Traditions Teacher, North Middle School, Rapid City, SD
- 2011 - Dr. Jason Murray, Assistant Professor of English, East Central University, Ada, Oklahoma. Murray served as the full-time Director of THE INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA® from 2013-2015.
- 2012 - Barry Mann, High School Principal, St. Francis Indian School, Rosebud Indian Reservation.
- 2013 - Thomas "Tom" Shortbull, President of Oglala Lakota College in Kyle, SD
- 2014 - Christopher Bordeaux, Executive Director, Oceti Sakowin Education Consortium
- 2015 - Charlie Luecke, Professor, Postsecondary Advisor, Internship Coordinator, THE INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA® Summer Program at Crazy Horse Memorial®
- 2016 - Sergeant Todd Albertson, Freshman Impact Co-coordinator, South Dakota Highway Patrol - Northern Hills District
- 2017 - Vaughn Vargas, Rapid City Police Department
- 2018 - Starr Chief Eagle